Anything I do more than a couple times, and it looks like I will again, I script to automate … I guess I’m an advocate of PoC (Process as Code). I use whatever DSL or tool best fits the situation and so I’m often learning new ones. Jenkins has long been my goto for CI/CD, applied right it can automate and order a lot of the work of building and deploying. But Jenkins, starting as Hudson, had a very UI biased architecture, and the evolution from then to now seems to have been largely organic. I’ve depended on Jenkins, and been happy with the results of my work with it, but often the solutions felt a bit of a Rube Goldberg machine, cobbling together a series of partially working bits to get the job done.
Then along came the Pipeline plugin that allowed for scripting things with the Jenkinsfile DSL. I dove right in. Pipelines allowed me to stop configuring complex jobs in Jenkins UI, and move all that out into Jenkinsfile scripts managed in my SCM. Awesome! Or mostly awesome. Immediately I started hitting issues with the Jenkinsfile documentation and the pipeline plugins. The DSL spec seemed to be a moving target, and the documentation for some of the pipeline plugins, like the AWS S3 upload/download, were sparse to nonexistent. So, it was two steps forward and one back. You could move all your configuration and process description out into code, and the code could reside in your SCM, but the DSL was an inconsistent, poorly documented, patch job.
Enter Blue Ocean
So then the UI revamp of Jenkins from Blue Ocean came out recently, and it’s all about pipelines and Jenkinsfiles. There was documentation. There was a plan. They seemed to be wrangling the Jenkinsfile DSL ecosystem into sanity!
Maybe … Maybe Not
I don’t know if it’s Blue Ocean’s fault or not, but suddenly there was Declarative and Scripted (aka Advanced) variants of the pipeline DSL. They share common roots, but they are not the same, and while the scripted is richer, it’s not a full on superset. Apparently I’d been working in the land of scripted and Blue Ocean was all documented as declarative. It only took me a good four hours to figure this out and understand why my scripts were exploding all over the place. Eventually I found the easter egg documentation hidden away behind the unexplained advanced links. Then I spent about an hour figuring out the tricks I needed to get the new plugins working with my old scripted skills, and how to hand roll the features that I lost when I didn’t use declaritive.
So yeah… Blue Ocean is absolutely two, maybe three steps forwards, but as per everything Jenkins, there was that one step backwards too. It’s clearly an improvement, but leaves you feeling like you’re basing your progress on a crufty hack.